Given the choice, 99% of smokers would probably like to kick the habit, and why not?
The reasons for stopping smoking far outway the reasons to continue:
Let us have a look at the reasons to stop!
The most obvious reason for quitting smoking is your health, and here are some facts and figures that may have an influence on you and help you to stop:
When you stop smoking:
- The nicotine in cigarettes increases your blood pressure putting added stress on the heart, but within 20 minutes of not smoking your blood pressure will return to normal.
- One of the most dangerous chemicals that you inhale while smoking is carbon monoxide, but within 8 hours of no smoking, those levels in the blood, along with the nicotine levels are reduced by half, allowing your oxygen levels to return to near normal.
- 24 hours in, and the carbon monoxide is actually gone from your body and your lungs benefit from the extra oxygen and start to clear.
- Within 48 hours nicotine is eliminated from your body, and also your senses of smell and taste begin to improve.
- After 72 hours, breathing will become easier.
- 3 months in and your circulation will have improved.
- Anywhere between 3 and 9 months, your lung function will have increased by up to 10%, making breathing problems easier.
- After 1 year, your risk of heart attack reduces by a massive 50%.
- 10 years of not smoking will reduce your chances of lung cancer by 50% compared with a smoker.
- Then 15 years in and the risk of a heart attack would be as if you had never smoked.
If you smoke 20 cigarettes a day, at today’s cost ie: average £9.00 ($14) a packet depending on what you smoke, that equates to £63.00 ($98) per week, £3276.00 ($5097) per year.
It doesn’t take a lot of working out how beneficial that extra income could impact on your life.
- Have a really good family holiday.
- Have 2 really nice breaks a year.
- Have a nice weekend break every 3 months.
- Help reduce that annoying credit card balance.
- Buy those “wish we could afford that” items for the home.
- Boost your Pension Fund.
- Or just simply save for a rainy day.
Your Style of living:
Quitting smoking will enhance your lifestyle in many various ways
Having Will Power